[Gllug] Code Tux

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Mon Jul 23 18:09:18 UTC 2001

On 7/23/01, 3:30:31 PM, Rich Walker <rw at shadow.org.uk> wrote regarding
Re: [Gllug] Code Tux:

> In message <20010720232111.A26238 at knossos.bruce>
>           brichardson at lineone.net (Bruce Richardson) wrote:

> But I'm still curious: your hard-won notes on how to harden linux
> systems are available somewhere other than the RedHat mailing list,
> aren't they?

No, I didn't do much hardening when I was using Red Hat (Dean, stop
giggling). I was still learning my way up through the basic utilities
etc.  Tackling silly X config scripts is a lot simpler than network
security.  It's only recently that I've felt confident enough to say
that I can make a networked box acceptably secure.

Which is part of my point.  MS products may have a poor security
record but a typical Windows installation is less vulnerable than a
default Linux set-up (from the major distributors, anyway) - the Linux
box will be running a large number of powerful and vulnerable
services, while the Windows box will be running Mr Magic Wizard Is
Here To Annoy You.

I hope my cfengine article will be interesting but cfengine isn't the
solution to Linux security.  It's a bolt-on, enabling the
user/administrator to run round turning things off.  Making a
distribution safe means implementing security policy throughout and at
the core of the design.  Each package with security implications
should install itself according to a security policy and to the
security options chosen by the machine's owner/admin.

This isn't rocket science.  Debian, for example, has the debconf
utility, which remembers admin preferences for packages.  When a
package is re-installed or upgraded it may check for these stored
preferences - or for the settings of related packages.  All that is
needed to add security policies to Debian is to create a virtual
"Security" package and attach a set of security options to it.  Then
any other package being installed could check those settings and make
appropriate adjustments.

Defining the policy would doubtless be a flame-fuelled business, given
the way Debian's loose democracy works.  One a policy was agreed,
though, the work required would not be huge, as each package
maintainer would only have to make the adjustments relevant to their
own package.  Given that Debian already provides a set of core tools
which many packages use to ease installation, many packages wouldn't
need to be adjusted at all, as the core installation tools could
implement security transparently.

There was a huge flamefest on the developer lists about whether the
mbr package was a security risk but nobody seems to be bothered about
having talkd and fingerd installed by default.  This puzzles me.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk