[Gllug] Editors

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 21:45:29 UTC 2001

* William Palfreman (william at palfreman.com) wrote:
> so people can be forced to incriminate themselves (or go to jail)

I'm sorry, but this is such a bullshit sentence.

Either you are forced to reveal you have broken the law (i.e you have
indulged in an illegal activity) or you show that you aren't hiding
anything illegal.

There's nothing wrong (IMO) with criminals being forced to incriminate
themselves, and by definition innocent people can't incriminate
themselves because they haven't done anything wrong.

It's all very well saying "but the government could frame you", but
that's just paranoia and conspiracy theorism.

I encrypt sensitive mails using gpg, but you can be damn sure I'd give
up the key if someone suspected me of doing something dodgy - I would
_want_ to show I wasn't breaking the law.

In my opinion, total freedom is anarchy, and you have to compromise
(just as with security). I would gladly give up a teeny bit of my
personal freedom to live in a country/world where paedophiles went to
jail and people who blow up shopping precincts to prove politic points
rot too.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |