[Gllug] Code Tux

Simon Bunker sibunks at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 21 21:14:06 UTC 2001

I for one would like to see this up on a how-to site of some description at
least and instructions on how to go about securing your system more. I don't
know a huge deal about ports and howe to change them, but if they recieve as
many scans as Zone Alarm on Windows then that would be worrying! Not much is
meantioned about Linux security as it seems most people assume it is fully
secure anyway, or people would be nice to Linux systmes because they are
open source. The obscurity aspect hardly counts in Linux machines connected
to the internet - although this might work for Mac servers. I'm sure there
must be some virii out there too - there have been a few things in the news
such as a cross platform x86 virus. Then again that was written in x86 asm
so that would be chip rather than OS specific. Linux may be more secure than
Windows, but that's hardly saying much is it??

Then again I am far, far from being an expert in this area - just going on
what I've seen.

Simon
http://www.rendermania.com/
UIN 11123737