[Gllug] Incompatible Operating System

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 21:32:54 UTC 2001

Xander D Harkness wrote:

> Welcome to the Linux Virtual Expo   Virtual Show Dates 4 July - 1
> September 2001
>
> Incompatible operating system
>
> Thank you for your interest in the virtual exhibition.
>
> The software used to run this product is incompatible with your current
> operating system. Please locate a PC loaded with Windows 95, 98 or NT
> and either Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape versions 4 or above
> and then come back to www.expocentric.com

And when I used Win2K (not on the list), and got past that, it said "if
you are using Linux software, this does not support the 3D
environment...". I don't know how you are supposed to get to that
message.

I tried Konqueror too (on FreeBSD, this should make no difference at
all, I just happen to have KDE2/Konqueror only on FreeBSD) which seems
much better at Windows-mangled sites, but it spat that out as well.
Konqueror allows customisation of the "user agent" ID; I tried this, and
all that happened was that the error disappeared. The content didn't
appear.

I see that there is an IBM ad on the page. If I were responsible for PR
at IBM I would pull this.

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk