[Gllug] sync,sync, init 0

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 17:11:38 UTC 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Simon Stewart spake:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 04:35:24PM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
>>
>> I thought init did its own syncing when shutting down !
>
> The sysadmin at my university thought otherwise, and there's no
> mention of sync in the init man page. It might just be a case of
> "better safe than fscked" though.

Oh, RTFS, for goodness' sake.

sysvinit-2.78 does do its own syncing (see src/halt.c line 237 and
src/shutdown.c lines 215 and 263).

(However, I still prefer to sync myself in the shutdown scripts; syncing
repeatedly does no harm and provides insurance should the behaviour of
sysvinit change in the future.)

--
`I'm not sure whether libtool is an existence proof that you _can_
 write a shell script that handles its arguments correctly, or a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk