[Gllug] SMS gateway

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon Jul 16 12:51:50 UTC 2001

>Has anyone had any experiences with a email to SMS gateway.
>
>What I am after is something where by an email can be sent to a local email
>address (I run qmail) and this is fed to a script that will send the
>contents of the email to a predifined list of recipients via SMS.

When I did this (sometime around 1995/1996), we had an alias that forwarded
email to a small (30 lines or so) Tcl program. This program stripped off
the headers, grabbed the relevant message, and plonked it in a file in a
spool directory. We then had a spool daemon (again very small, written in
Tcl) that checked for new files in the directory, and called an SMS client
to send the message. I think we used Angelo Masci's sms_client, but it was
a long time ago, so I can't be sure. Whatever we used, it dialled up one
of the public SMS gateways using a dedicated modem, and sent the message.
The only cost to us was the price of the phone call.

It should be fairly trivial to knock up a similar system that copes with
sending to multiple recipients based on the email address you send to.

For SMS Client, see:

	http://www.styx.demon.co.uk/

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk