[Gllug] Perl, the dogs nadgers?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sun Jul 22 09:39:19 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 12:59:22AM +0100, David Irvine wrote:
> Sorry to bring this back up but wouldnt it be fly's since that is the plural
> of fly as in the annoyning insects that buzz? Or is my dyslexia kicking in?

Your dyslexia :)

If the fly had a rubber ball, then that would be the fly's. If the fly had a
gang, they would be the flies. Also, the fly flies but the flies fly :P If
the fly was the leader of the flies, then then fly's flies fly.

The use of apostrophe is old English, as in "John's donkey" was originally
"John, his donkey" - the possessive apostrophe merely being abbreviation. (I
believe, anyway :)

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk