[Gllug] picturebook

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Sat Nov 10 01:01:50 UTC 2001

David Irvine(co2cool at yahoo.com)@Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 12:23:21AM +0000:

> What i would like to know is does anybody have any experience  of
> picturebooks, would they recommend them and what about the crusoe chip?
> Is battery life going to  be  super?   Basically waht i need from a
> laptop is simply battery life,  small  lightweight footprint, a fairly
> large hdd, and a pcmcia slot.  I would also like  an  external dvd/cdrw
> drive  since i spend a lot of time on  the move it would  be nice to
> watch movies on the train.  Any other recommendations on a new laptop? I
> also  quite like the size of the picturebook, i dont need a large
> screen, just something to code on when i'm between  meetings, and
> something cute to show off at gllug/slug meetings :d

i dont have any first hand experience with them, but IMHO they look
really cute.  If i had some spare disposable cash, i'd definately get
one.  Have a look at the Japanese link model that i posted a link too
last week.  very nice indeed.

the only real advice i can give you, is wait for the TM5800 processor
models to arrive over here.  they have the newer microcode(?) on the
chips, making them more effecient than the current breed available over
here.  but, i have no idea when they'll be out in the UK.

AFAIK the C1 that i mentioned the other week, worked out at about 770
quid, but thats the Japanese price.  you can expect the UK price to be
at least twice that.

i also recall seeing an external CDR for the vaio series.

hmmm, must get job, buy more toys...

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk