[Gllug] Office software

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Nov 16 12:43:15 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:30:37AM -0000, will wrote:
> This is a pain.  At home I have an AMD K2500 with a 32Mb gfx card and 430Mb
> ram and KDE runs like a dog on it, Gnome is little better.  Comparitively
> the win98 desktop really does fly.  I have an old 486 with 20Mb of ram which
> used to run win95 quite successfully.  Running even the most basic Linux WM
> on that really make it unuseable (I don't as it is a server, but I have
> tried it just to see).

Even the most basic?  Have you tried Ion or Pwm?

> Yay!  Why KDE needs a good 8 seconds to start up a terminal window I don't
> know.  Does anyone know *why* linux desktops are so damned slow?

They can be made faster by turning off all the unneeded features.  I
used Gnome quite happily on an AMD K200 and then a PII 350 - until I
stopped using Gnome and went for something more minimal.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"