[Gllug] mail servers / pop3

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 16:26:35 UTC 2001

> Presumably, you have an ISP that provides your connection.

Its a co-located box at blackcat networks - these would be my ISP? or
would it be their ISP which is easynet I think?

> You mentioned
> earlier that you were waiting for a DNS entry to come
> through. This implies
> that your domain's DNS entries are being held elsewhere (by
> them?).

We've got a few domain names already pointing to various other IP
addresses at free web space accounts.
Do they need to change any DNS settings or is it just the "top level"
DNS entry that needs changing?

> Or have
> you requested that your machine is to be authoritive for its
> own domain??

Not sure exactly but I don't think so.

> If
> so then you will need to set up BIND on your box to be
> responsible for all
> requests for your domain.
> So either
> a) Your ISP hosts the DNS entries for your domain and you
> have to ask them
> nicely (or not so nicely depending on who they are) to add a
> few alias
> entries (mail.bar.com, pop3.bar.com etc...) that point to
> your machine so
> that people can type smtp.bar.com and get the right answer
> (the ip address
> for your box)
> OR
> b) You have to set up BIND yourself so that when machines on
> the internet are
> looking for *.bar.com, they are directed to your machine's
> DNS server for the
> correct information instead.
>
> Which is it to be???  8)

Thanks, that's made it a lot clearer.
Sounds like (b) is the way to go as it gives you instant access to amend
your configuration.
The downside is I guess you have to keep your nameserver running OK or
everything crashes.
Are there any other potential problems to be aware of?

So to set up your own "proper" nameserver, you both have to have named
or whatever running *plus* let your ISP know you want to be
authoritative for your domain?

> BTW, the caching server you have is purely for your own
> machines DNS lookups
> when it is trying to find other boxes on the internet. It
> shouldn't be
> accessible from outside unless you are hosting a domain as in
> case 'b)' above
> and then not without reconfiguring it first.

I think this is the way it is set up, port 53 is inaccessible from
outside.

> Stephen Harker
> steve at pauken.co.uk, http://www.pauken.co.uk
> "Stockhausen? I haven't conducted any but I once trod in some"
> 				 - Sir Thomas Beecham
>
> --

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk