[Gllug] iptables - a quick question

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Nov 29 19:43:12 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 12:34:51PM +0000, will wrote:

> >>How is this possible?  How do you detect a spoofed IP?
> >>

> > It's a firewall, so you have two network interfaces, one to the outside
> > world, one to your internal network. If packets come in on the externally
> > connected interface claiming to have a source IP from your internal
> > network, then they're obviously spoofed, and should be blocked.
>

> I only have one nic as the PC is my workstation.  Is it possible to

maybe you have a serial/usb network interface as well as an ethernet
card ?

> spoof an IP as 127.0.0.1, or localhost accross the Internet?  One of the

yes

> enterprise (!starship) techs suggested that the linux kernel would not
> allow a packet to be sent out with a source IP of 127.0.0.1.

don't know - but I guess that limitation could be removed

In any case you can block all 127.x.x.x arriving on external connections

Unless you have a  single NIC providing both LAN and internet you can
also block all LAN ip ranges (192.168.x.x etc)

--

Sean