[Gllug] google down?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Nov 12 12:19:36 UTC 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Dan Kolb wrote:

> Actually, to be technical, it's not JaNET itself that's shafted, but the link
> between it and Above.NET (Google traffice, Hotmail traffic, etc.). Other
> transatlantic connections are still fine.

Yes, point taken. JaNET might not actually have much to do with the cause.

> Mmm.... I wouldn't be without my nice fast 'net access here :)

...and I wouldn't be without my cablemodem here. More than adequate for
most of my needs at the moment - and about a billion times more reliable
than the University's network performance when I lived in Hall last year.

> That saying, OUCS are slowly restricting more traffic - within the last week,
> they blocked software like KaZaa (file-sharing).

Yes except here, ACS block stuff like IRC because their policy makers are
mostly the sort who wouldn't know technology if it came up and bit them.

> Admittedly, they did have a point - one of the Oxford colleges was
> recently sued for a large amount of money by Sony

There's more than a rumour that UoN were threatened by Lucasfilm over
Episode 1 (apparently someone decided to hold a rather too public "private
screening" or somesuch) but I don't give a damn - it's not an excuse to
restrict everything else too, although I'll grant that blocking certain
file sharing networks might be in their interest...

As I said before, my department choose to interpret all these legal
threats as an excuse to (last year) remove the departmental serving of
student web pages, routinely scan for certain types of file, etc. etc.

> For any wannabe lawyers here, apparently they were trying to sue under the US
> DMCA - I thought US laws couldn't be enforced here?

Interesting.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk