[Gllug] Public IPs - When are they appropriate

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Nov 12 12:38:57 UTC 2001

On 11/12/01, 12:19:57 PM, tet at accucard.com wrote regarding Re: [Gllug]
Public IPs - When are they appropriate :

> >Yeah, there is no reason for most of the workstations in this office to
have
> >a public IP and it is soooooo much easier when you can just plug a
machine
> >into the network and let DHCP handle the rest.

> Of course, there's no reason why you couldn't just have your DHCP server
> allocate public IP addresses (although unless you've got dynamic DNS, the
> advantages of a public IP address would be lost).

I know people keep making that argument for the sake of purity but it
offends my sense of economy.  Why waste a public ip address on something
that doesn't need it (or rarely does, in which case the compromises of
NAT are usually adequate).  Dissing the extra security of NAT doesn't
impress either - each extra layer is a definite bonus as no individual
layer is going to be completely and eternally reliable.

There are a lot of arguments for IPv6 but the ability to give a public
IP address to your toaster definitely isn't one of the smart ones.  The
spiel is that there will be no more ip shortages when IPv6 is here but
Parkinson's Law tells me that is wrong - especially if a profligate
attitude to assigning IP addresses is positively encouraged.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk