[Gllug] google down?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Nov 12 14:54:58 UTC 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Simon Stewart wrote:

<snip Lucasfilm>

> That sort of thing used to be reasonably common in the UoN CS
> department. I seem to recall a few people being taken to one side and
> asked to delete chunks of the home directory. Of course, with nominal
> quotas[1], you couldn't really store that much in your account anyway.

Quotas now vary between 25-100MB depending upon year, soft limits.

<snip searching for files>

> MP3s were the first, in '97 I think.

Until last year, this was apparently implemented by means of a simple
semi-automated find done periodically and a hauling up if needed. Now mp3s
may be deleted. I view this as *wrong* and periodically raise the scenario
of a 512 byte file which contains merely a valid ID3 tag and no audio.

Cheers,

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk