[Gllug] Broad Band Access

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at uk.now.com
Mon Nov 5 16:50:00 UTC 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 04:27:49PM +0000, David Irvine wrote:

> 1.  What is the law  about using wireless lan cards commercially.

You can't with 802.11b or bluetooth (ie 2.4GHz):

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1999/19990930.htm
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001012.htm

It states you can't use the frequancy by way of a business, which
(Alex...) probably means consume is legal for hobbiests, etc but if a
business installs a node it must be separated from the core business.
See what the WDA are doing in Cardiff http://www.arwain.net/

> 2.  What happens if somebody else starts using wireless lan in their
> home etc, do they start screwing up  our network?

Not necessarily - different ESSID (wireless lan names) and frequencies
can sort this out.

> 3.  I planned to use a bridge based on mac address to stop 3rd parties
> using the service.

Can do at MAC level or IP level (ipsec).  Depends on whether you want to
splash out on an access point.  I'd use Ad-hoc (IBSS Mode) and implement
security via ipsec, etc.  MAC addresses can be spoofed, so use arpwatch
as well.

> Any ideas?  Cost wise i would  like the service to pay  for itself so
> i'm figuring about 30 quid a month  per punter, say 5 punters, each
> stumping up the cost or part thereof for a directional antennae and
> card/base station  etc.

It'd have to be a free community service.

Paul

--
"we apologise for any inconvenience" - God's Last Message to His Creation
Courtesy of Douglas Adams

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk