[Gllug] How can I revert a mail digest?

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Tue Nov 13 16:34:48 UTC 2001

* tet at accucard.com <tet at accucard.com> spake thus:

> >> 	(formail|procmail(ex|rc)?)
> >
> >Yeah, I knew that. Or even
> >
> >	formail|procmail(ex|rc)?
> >
> >would do (stripping off your superflous paranthesis :-) )
>
> Actually, they're not superfluous. They're needed in order to correctly
> bound the alternates specified by the pipe. Without them, you'd incorrectly
> match:
>
> 	formailrocmail
> 	formaiprocmail

Actually, no. This is not true when it comes to procmail, if you are to
believe the procmailrc man page, which explicitly states (under the
heading "Extended regular expressions");

	de|abc    Either the sequence `de' or `abc'.

However, most other places I think your above statement might well be
true. I am no expert in regular expressions, but lately I have played
with procmail to weed out followups to known spams in a mailinglist. It
is a known fact that such followups often are more numerous than the
initial spam. I have indeed managed to make such a filter that works
quite well[1]. If anybody is interested, I'll post the recipe here.

[1] It breakes where broken mailers fail to include a references or
in-reply-to header.

Regards,
Stig

--