[Gllug] webalizer and dynamic pages (C question)

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Nov 2 17:50:21 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 04:47:56PM -0000, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> Alternatively you could learn enough C to embed PERL (not as hard as it
> sounds). You're probably right though: learning C is one of those 'good' but
> uncomfortable things we should all do; like exercise.

I had wondered about that - esp as this is the sort of pattern matching
that is so easy in perl...

but wouldn't it run horribly slowly - if the analyser has to swicth from
C to perl for evey line of the log ... or isn't that how it works at
all ?

hmm...

http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node=perlman%3Aperlembed&lastnode_id=148

When you use Perl from C, your C program will--usually--allocate,
``run'', and deallocate a PerlInterpreter object, which is defined by
the perl library.

doesn't sound good :(

and it looks as tricky as learning enough C to write a simple patch -
and I'd love to do that - it would be far more portable and maybe
usefull to other people. Webtrends charge thousands of pounds for the
full version of thier analyser, as far as I can tell the cheap version
is the same thing but crippled - it won't analyse dynamic pages.

Unless I'm missing something big - it doesn't look at all hard  (if you
know C) to add an option for webalizer to treat some query string
variables as page identifiers - I have already followed earlier
suggestions which work for the first parameter.

--

Sean