[Gllug] Where has the modem gone

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Nov 21 13:14:08 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 12:20, David Damerell wrote:
> > >I hate outlook express so this is pretty important :-)
> >I'd say. People with crappy email clients are going to scream at that
> >html attachment....
>
> Um. VM handles it quite nicely
> <snip>

Without going into the relative crappyness of various clients; that
wasn't what I was talking about - I was thinking more about the ludds
with their stoneage clients, which rarely deal with MIME, and have even
more problems with richly formatted email. Generally the same people who
whine about Reply-to: being set, the quoting styles of different clients
and whether or not someone is using the correct character set encoding.

> Doesn't mean I _like_ to get that mess, so I'll still scream.

I'm of exactly the opposite persuasion - I wish to get away from this
plaintext nonsense. Quoting sensibly in it is hideous, I would much
prefer a simple <blockquote>original text</blockquote> or something -
carriage returns, etc., then become inconsequential. Mailing lists
aren't so bad; but even moderately complex business email would be
useless in non-html format. I see email as more than souped-up SMS, I'm
afraid, although that's not to say plain-text email doesn't have its
place.

Cheers,

Alex.