[Gllug] Off Topic Not a Plug

Tim Gray timgray at numasters.com
Tue Oct 2 13:27:51 UTC 2001

Will said unto the world:

> I did this to my company about a part of the site that didn't work in
> netscape on linux and they told me to shove it.  They said not enough people
> use Linux for it to be worth them bothering the developer about it.

<soap_box type="rant">
I remember having a similar conversation about this. My approach was to talk
about standards compliance. You can get a website to work with *all* browsers
just point your browser at the little known called W3C.org....

It really shouldn't be a case of making the site compatible with Linux, IE,
Netscape, Opera or any other of the platform/browser combinations out there. If
developers stopped being lazy and started complying with standards this problem
wouldn't exist. As far as I'm concerned if a developer wants to use flash or
some other proprietary tool they should as a matter of professionalism to make
available a minimum (ie text only version or what ever) the  site as well. By
going the Flash only route a developer isn't just locking out Linux users, they
are also stopping other groups (Yes, that means potential customers) from
getting to the site..... Any one not using Flash (obviously ;), search engines,
text to speech browsers (ie blind/disabled ppl). Anyone with ActiveX disabled on
IE... the list goes on....

Anyway SVG and DHTML will do anything Flash can do and it will work an many more
browsers.
</soap_box>

Tim