[Gllug] Need help very much

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 14:53:22 UTC 2001

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:42:54PM +0100, James Bailey wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can any one tell me if there is a may to make Linux use a proxy for all non
> local network traffic. Where I am has restricted all net access to make
> people use the proxy I still want to telnet/ssh out to my box at an ISP. Is
> there a way to do this?
>
> James

Hi
Proxying works on a per-service basis, you have a web proxy, an ftp proxy,
a mail proxy, etc. A web proxy can not be used for ssh, and AFAIK an ssh
proxy is not really possible as it would break a whole load of things.

If your current location has blocked telnet and ssh (ports 23 and 22) then
you can not use those ports. Of course if there are other ports open (eg
20, 8080) then you could reconfigure an ssh server to listen to those ports
instead, and then tunnel all sorts of traffic through that.

--
|    John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com                          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk