[Gllug] Underclocking an Athlon

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 12:30:40 UTC 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:02:03PM +0100, Walid wrote:
>  --- John Edwards <john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote: > On Mon, Oct 01,
> 2001 at 11:42:25AM +0100, Jackson, Harry wrote:
>> As the big Athlons have a habit of being as hot as a burning coals
>> when running in a small machine, is there any way to UNDERclock them
>> (eg running a 1.4GHz at 1.2GHz) ?
>>
>> I would rather have a 10% slower machine than a dead machine.

> In that note what is the average temp.?  Mine is always around 47 DegC.
> have you seen any mobo that shuts down when the temp goes up?

I don't have the Athlon yet. I've seen temperatures range from about 45C
to 75C and raising (duff thermal compound on a CoolerMaster heatsink).

I saw some Gigabyte Pentium motherboards that used to reduce the clock
speed when you overheated, but that was a long time ago. Most just beep.

Linux has the lm_sensors package that will get data from most temperature
sensors, you could use a script to check the values from that and then
email sysadmin or run shutdown.

--
|    John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com                          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk