[Gllug] LDAP

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Sep 24 15:22:46 UTC 2001

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 04:12:47PM +0100, Jim Cheetham wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 04:07:17PM +0100, Simon Stewart wrote:
> > Has anyone had a play with LDAP? One of the things I'd like to be do
> > with minimal grief is to centralise my user administration, and only
> > have to create an LDAP entry to let someone log onto any machine that
> > I feel they should be able to (creating the home directory if it
> > doesn't already exist, for example) Whilst pam_ldap allows me to do
> > the authentication, I doubt that it'll create the account on the fly
> > (oh yes, no centralised storage here, either, but that'll be the next
> > thing on the list) and I'm not sure how to go about checking the
> > access rights on a per-server basis.
>
> NFS (ugh) mount the home directory file system via an automounter?
> Then all your user files are centralised and easier to backup,
> without any synchronisation issues ...

That would be one way of solving the problem of having to create a new
directory every time, and possibly the sanest, though I fear that for
consistancy's sake[1], I might be forced to use SMB mounts (*shudder*)
cos this is a nice heterogenous environment with Macs (OS 9 and X),
Win32 boxen, Linux and BSD machines.

Cheers,

Simon

[1] I've noticed that NFS and Samba handle ymbolic links differently,
for example.

--
"How should I know if it works?  That's what beta testers are for.  I only
coded it."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk