[Gllug] Code Blue - is it true?

jim jim at madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 11:56:50 UTC 2001

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Could well be true.  My log files sure do have a bunch of these from
> the last 24 hours:
> 203.249.133.72 - - [07/Sep/2001:18:39:37 +1000] "GET
> /default.ida?XXXXXX ...

Nah, that's Code Red II.

Great Yahoo! article, isn't it? "But the Code Red II worm faded away as
people downloaded free patches from the Microsoft Web site which plugged
the hole the worm used to enter computers." Yup, Microsoft save the day
again.  Hurrah for Bill! Quite apart from the spin it's JPNT ... code red
II has certainly not faded away yet.

"the Code Red worm and successors known as Code Red II and SirCam were
still under investigation." SirCam's an Outlook virus, shorely, and is
completely different.

Anyway, it's the first I've heard about any Code Blue. I keep half an eye
on Bugtraq but I haven't noticed anything there about it. Smells a little
fishy to me ...

jim
--
http://madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk/people/jim/
"... I naturally gravitated to London, that great cesspool into which all the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk