[Gllug] ulimits

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Sat Sep 1 11:55:34 UTC 2001

On 01 Sep 2001 08:37:34 +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 03:35:52AM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> > I know you can restrict CPU /time/ and set /priority/ limits but I want
> > to be able to say "for user blah do not let them have more than 50% of
> > CPU at any one moment in time"
>
> Unfortunately that's nonsense, becos CPUs don't multitask.

Yes yes, I have a problem conveying what I mean but you then interpret
it well below so...

> Perhaps what you actually mean is 'give me some sort of average of CPU
> usage, and if it rises above a watermark then push the task back in the
> schheduling queue'.

Indeed - something like that. I don't really want to have to learn
enough about the scheduler, hack it and then find I've broken it beyond
repair :)

> The complexity of the problem is probably the reason it hasn't
> been implemented.

That's what I figured - still it would be real nice if someone would
implement it at some point.

> Perhaps you ought to be running rtlinux..

'fraid I can't do that at the moment on those machines.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk