[Gllug] Short tutorials?

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 18:14:09 UTC 2001

* will (will at hellacool.co.uk) wrote:
> [...]

You can install new kernel image over the old one without running
/sbin/lilo. (I personally repoint a symlink so my old kernel is
still accessible).

If your new kernel is broken, because grub knows about filesystems, you
can navigate to any kernel image on any drive you can access, and tell
grub to boot it. lilo only knows where a kernel is by storing it's inode
number.

You can do much more debugging, fixing and emergency repair from grub,
simply because it can browse filesystems.

There's other stuff too, the menu setup is quite nice if you want to use
it.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |