[Gllug] ulimits

Rob robin.cannings at lineone.net
Sat Sep 1 09:53:22 UTC 2001

Hi Jon,
This isn't a direct answer but more a thought;

I've never seen what you're describing below, I use a cluster
implementation (at work so it isn't free). To run 'workhorse' machines,
the filing is then dealt with thru NFS with a huge (multi-Tb) network
file server in the background.
We did experiment with including the Fileserver in the cluster
environment but it plays merry hell with NFS.
All I can suggest is to move the processing activities (whatever jobs
are running) to a seperate machine which uses a fair share system
(admittedly this works better with multiple machines) - this tends to
balance the read/writes sufficiently that you don't have much slow down.
The software used requires that you launch jobs thru its interface (CLI
or GUI)it then monitors the load on each process per user and attempts
to manage the load by suspending jobs that have overrun their allocation
based on what is currently in the queue.
The provider is www.platform.com
Not sure if the linux clustering solutions can do this - but this
solution works with various *NIX's and even NT (although I'd advise this
should be in a seperate cluster)

Sorry it's not a full answer,
Cheers
Rob