[Gllug] Mount problems

Dylan dylan at shinyboots.org.uk
Sat Sep 8 12:51:21 UTC 2001

I have just (re) installed Suse 7.1 from scratch.

The machine has 3 IDE hard drives (hda, hdb, hdd) and a DVD ROM (hdc), along
with a SCSI hard drive (sda).

A) During boot, I get a message telling me that mounting sda has failed,
although the drive and contents (/usr) are present and operational in the
filesystem - should I be worried about this? What sort of thing may cause
this?

B) The DVD appears in the filesystem under /cdrom, and  /dvd is empty. If I
try re-mounting (by hand or with mount -a) I am told the DVD is empty/not
present/busy. The relevant lines in fstab say:

/dev/cdrom, /cdrom, auto, ro,auto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/dvd, /dvd, auto, ro,autouser,exec 0 0

I tried removing the dvd entry and edited the cd entry to mount on /dvd -
after rebooting, the situation had not changed (still apearing on /cdrom.)

/dev contains two links cdrom and dvd - when I check the properties of each I
get an error: /dev/... is a file when a directory was expected (or words to
that effect.) then it simply shows me the filename and permissions (I was
expecting a target as well.)

At some point I will want to add a SCSI CDrom to the box, and obviously I
want to mount that on /cdrom and the dvd on /dvd.  Any suggestions as to what
changes to files I need to make in order to accomplish this?

Thanks

Dylan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk