[Gllug] DVD on Linux

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 22:50:09 UTC 2001

Richard Cohen wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Axel Segebrecht wrote:
>
>>has anyone got experience with running DVD on Linux?
>>
>>i have a Matrox G400 dh and was just curious if it
>>was possible to watch DVD on dh over the Matrox.
>>

>My G400 can play DVDs quite happily (with 2xPIII-550 underneath) fullscreen
>or in a window, in X or on the fb console.  One limitation of the G400 Dual
>Head is that only one of the heads can be accelerated for this kind of
>thing, and that head, by default, is the first (monitor) head.  MPlayer -
>which I'm starting to like, particularly since it now has libdvdread (which
>is a *very* good thing - DeCSS, DVD .NFO parsing and so on, all in a
>library) support in CVS - has some hackery which will give you accelerated
>output on head two - I have a long SCART lead running into the living room
>to watch DVDs on my big TV.  iPAQ with wireless networking rocks as a remote
>:-)

You've just sparked a whole new  bunch  of geek  gadgets for my  living
room, if I split up with my  gf i'm  holding you personally responsible. :D

I'd never thought of using an ipaq as a remote, well i guess thats one
 use for it. :) The wonders of a tv card with remote control suffices
for now. hmmm. Time to  buy an ipaq.

:D

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk