[Gllug] Nightmare

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Wed Sep 12 11:13:36 UTC 2001

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, John Hearns wrote:
> Well, maybe this means it is time to revive my idea of a Filesystems
> Shootout.
>
> If you recall, my idea was to get together speakers who would be prepared
> to do a piece on each of the journalling filesystems.

and boy are there enough of them :) It'd be nice to get some technological
comparison of them rather than the more common "I use it and it hasn't eaten
my root disk (yet)" religious arguments I've seen.

> Also somebody on SANs (Hi Simon!)

(uh oh)

SANs revolve around more of block storage concepts, but there is still plenty
of mileage there (mostly linux bashing I'm afraid). I'd invite Alasdair to
say something about GFS at this point,

If you're talking about filesystems and SANs it's only a small step to
include LVM and you have most of the storage technologies covered

> We could maybe set up demo systems, each having a different filesystem?

And mercilessly power cycle them (mwahahahahahahahaha! haha! ha! *cough*)

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk