[Gllug] X 4.2.0 and Matrox Millenium G550

John Southern john at livepublishing.co.uk
Wed Apr 10 09:15:32 UTC 2002

> I am running Suse 7.2 pro on a machine with a dual head Matrox Millenium G550
> (using X 4.2.0).  If I plug in 2 monitors, this seems to work fine, but when
> I fire up a program, e.g. kmail on the second monitor, it doesn't allow me to
> type an email, or move the application around the screen.  A similar thing
> happens with Konqueror.  Also, I cannot increase the number of desktops
> (above 1).
>
> However, if I login as root, both screens behave as they should, and I can
> open applications on either monitor, and move them around, type emails, surf
> the web, increase the number of desktops, etc.
>
> I assume this is therefore a permissions issue, so would someone point me in
> the right direction of what I need to do.

If the monitors are running at the same resolution then you want to
setup Xinerama which makes them act as one big screen and you can drag
stuff around.
If the resolutions are different you may end up loosing the KDE or Gnome
panel fromthe display as it treats both monitors as the smaller
resolution and just does not draw the extra part of the higher display.
This needs the line
Option "Xinerama" "on"
in the server layout section of the XF86Config4 file
The only other thing on Xinerama is a screensaver will only obscure one
display so any sensitive info you may have to remember to clear down
before leaving the terminals.

What permissions do you have set for the /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

Is the X just a sym link?
Also you need to have both read and execute permissions set for groups
and others so

-rwxr-xr-x

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk