[Gllug] ADSL router recommendations?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Apr 24 13:35:12 UTC 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 01:57:32PM +0100, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >The speed is good and their technical staff are able but have a look
> >at their website to see how minimal a service they provide outside
> >of the connection itself.
>
> Just to play devil's advocate, what services do you need other
> than the connection? I'd have thought most people here wouldn't
> want anything more than that...

Reverse DNS. The ISP will own the class C address block that you will
have (you are going for a fixed IP address, right ?).

You will presumably want your own DNS to point to your box using
whatever domain you have. Some services (like mail) do sometimes
refuse to play unless forward/backward DNS match.

Not all ISPs are up to getting this right (BT is one that can't).

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk