[Gllug] Hardware recommendation, esp. SANs and shared storage

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Aug 9 08:29:27 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 10:13, Tethys wrote:

> >The DRAC boards in Dells require a windows client (I have a serial
> >cable I've been meaning to try) and the PCWeasel cards just don't
> >work well enough to be practical. Any idea what support compaq have?
>
> You can get an optional Remote Insight Management board, as an extortionate
> optional extra, which is pretty comparable to the Dell's DRAC board, as far
> as I can tell. Both miss the point entirely. All I want it is a proper serial
> console. I shouldn't need an extra card, drivers and windows software for
> that :-(

Sorry if I am wittering as usual.
Linuxbios might do the trick in future.

Sadly I don't have the kit or the time to try it :-(

BTW, regarding serial consoles I have a rather sick scheme in mind to
use my iPAQ as a remote wireless terminal server.
Background - many of our machines are on KVM switches,
but many are not. This consists of hundreds of batch nodes.
(not on KVMs due to economics, and yes I DO know about terminal servers)
We walk around with monitors/keyboards on trolleys to do console level
work.
Being the lazy sod that I am I would much rather sit in the office and
access remotely..

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk