[Gllug] Laptop PC failing to boot

Kim Hawtin kim at freesolutions.net
Mon Aug 26 09:04:06 UTC 2002

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 07:40:36PM +0100, Mark Preston wrote:
> I would be grateful for any advice about the following problem I am having.
> I have a laptop PC (433MHz) which I purchased from Digital Networks 2years
> ago. It is a dual boot with RedHat 7.1 and Windows 98. It has recently failed
> to boot and gives the following error messages:-
> When trying to boot into Linux,
> ...[Some bootup messages that look normal ending with the lines below]
> TCP:Hash tables configured (established 16384 bind 16384)
> Net4:Unix domain sockets 1.0SMP for Linux NET 4.0
> hda:dma_intr: status=0x51{DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
> hda:dma_intr: error=0x01{AddMarkNotFound} LBAsect=12530765, sector2
> ...(last two lines above repeat 8 times)
> hda:DMA disabled
> ide0: reset: success
> hda:read_intr: status=0x59{DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
> hda:read_intr: error=0x01{AddMarkNotFound} LBAsect=12530765, sector2
> ...(last two lines above repeat 6 times)
> end_request: IO error, dev 03:06 (hda), sector2
> EXT2-fs: Unable to read superblock
> Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:06

this looks similar to a problem i had with lots of bad sectors on the
disk. read time out being the main one in my case...

also i was getting lots of sequential blocks at a time, so i assume that
it was also bad blocks on the disk sector realication tables...

it may pay to build a tomsrtbt disk and do a file system check with bad
block checking enabled.

yours,

kim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk