[Gllug] samba problem

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Aug 22 23:08:27 UTC 2002

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 06:02:42PM +0100, will wrote:
> Stig Brautaset wrote:
>> * Will <will at hellacool.co.uk> spake thus:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I have a couple of users I am sure I added using the smbpasswd -a command,
>>>will and user1.  The user 'will' works fine (all tested from win2k) however
>>>the 'user1' user does not work, it keeps prompting for the password.  The
>>>only difference I can see is the smbpasswd file entries:
>>

>> I can spot one more difference...
>>

>>>will:1000:encrypted password snipped:encrypted password snipped:[U
>>>]:LCT-3D616ED7:will
>>
>>                  ^^^^
>>>user1:1004:encrypted password snipped:encrypted password snipped:[UX
>>>]:LCT-3D64EBCE:
>>
>>                  ^^^^^ missing `user1'.
>>
>> Although I have no idea whether it is relevant or not.
>
> Yeah, I noticed that after I sent it but I think it is a comment field, other
> users have things like:
>
> Post Office Owner
> Unprivileged user
> Mister Man Pages
> Owner of many system processes
>
> And stuff like that.
>
> Will.

Hi
>From looking at 'man 5 smbpasswd' on a machine running 2.2.3, the fields are:
	1: username
	2: uid
	3: Lanman hash
	4: NT hash
	5: Accounts flags inside [ ] - valid entries are U N D or W
	    fixed field length of 13 characters including the brackets

All other fields are ignored - which would your 'Post Office Owner' et al,
suggesting that the file may have been hand edited as some point.

I would think that the X in the account flags section of user1 is invalid.
Try replacing it with a space so that the 13 character field length is
presersed and see if that helps.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk