[Gllug] Robot arms for the disabled

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Aug 9 07:17:49 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 05:03, Jim Bailey wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 06:23:53PM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> > Congratulations to Rich Walker on the BBC news item:
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2178226.stm
> >
> Congrats Rich and to the rest of your team there.
>
> I am now going to stick my neckn out here and speak my mind about how
> pissed off I am about the response from David Colley, chairman of the
> British Council of Disabled People.
>
> "It's unfortunate that disabled people are constantly used as a reason
> for inventing new gadgets."

Jim, don't go overboard.
I kinda get what he is trying to say. There are lots of low-tech,
low-cost solutions which could help more people out there.
Yet 'high-tech' expensive projects are 'sexy' and easy to get funds for.

As an example, I remember hearing a heart surgeon on a radio programme.
He said he could get no money for a prevention budget, to promote
healthy eating, exercise etc.
Yet each heart bypass operation costs (say) 10 000 pounds - maybe more.

Or look at the situation with NHS wheelchairs.
The standard NHS model is frankly a useless, heavy piece of junk made
from steel tubes. Doesn't fold down.
If you want a lightweight, manoeverable model guess what - you have to
buy it yourself, from the shops. They cost 500 pounds upwards.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk