[Gllug] perl script

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Aug 22 12:15:18 UTC 2002

On Thursday, 22 Aug 2002, Tom Gilbert wrote:
>* David Damerell (damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk) wrote:
>>In particular, this behaviour would be disastrous on proprietary
>>UNIXen - like Solaris - that have a /bin/cd as mandated by SUS,
>>because a non-builtin cd doesn't do anything.
>Muahaha. I was not aware SUS mandated a /bin/cd. What precisely is
>having a /bin/cd supposed to be good for? :)

I believe SUS mandates non-builtin versions of all shell builtins.  I
guess it's more straightforward than trying to assemble a list of all
the shell builtins that will never be useful as non-builtins and then
finding that one or two of them do have obscure uses.

>Riiiight... So /bin/cd is run by ksh and invokes the builtin cd, then
>exits. That's so.... Useful....?

At least it doesn't cheat and do nothing, which would be
indistinguishable.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk