[Gllug] Hardware recommendation, esp. SANs and shared storage

Matthew Kirkwood matthew at hairy.beasts.org
Thu Aug 8 16:02:53 UTC 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Tethys wrote:

> >- currently trying to convince Oracle reseller that
> >  a 4-way P4 with hyperthreading is only 4 CPUs for
> >  licencing purposes :-)
>
> :-) In theory, now that Oracle have dumper their "power units"
> scheme, you should be able to get away with that.

Nope.  They still offer named-user and per-CPU.  We went
from UPU to per-CPU recently and, while it was marginally
more expensive in the first year to relicence, it will
save us about 40% next year.

> We're currently negotiating to get our extortionate quarter of a
> million Oracle bill down to something more reasonable.

Ours isn't that bad yet, current pricing makes it 27K per
CPU for Oracle EE, plus a further 17K per CPU to use the
RAC option.  They're not going to like that if we end up
with 4 x 4-way...

I won't bore people with my usual rant about list prices
and "discounts", except to point to this:

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20020728.html

Matthew.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk