[Gllug] patent office consultation paper

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 12 09:20:04 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 23:22, Jim Bailey wrote:

> I promise to keep on reading though but does any one know of any links
> to balanced sites that put this into English rather than legalise?

http://uk.eurorights.org/issues/eucd/ is probably a good place to start
getting it translated.

The important thing (at least as far as the patent office is concerned)
is that the EUCD is already agreed, and *must* be implemented into
national law by EU member states by this December. It's bad news
whatever, but there are a fair number of options which can be "switched
on" by each member state when it's enacted into law. These cover
exemptions from bits of the bill for certain purposes, i.e. exemptions
to circumventing technological protections for disabled access,
compatibility, research, etc. We want to make very sure that the
government switches them on for us, as they'll go some way towards
reversing the damage this thing will do.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk