[Gllug] OT computers in the movies

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Aug 29 11:33:48 UTC 2002

>By and large I liked it. If I could have made one change it would be
>to cut the entire Indiana Jones sequence in Moria, because it's a
>total fabrication that takes up time that could have been used for
>more of the book.

The orcs swarming all over the walls and ceiling in Moria was one of
the biggest problems for me. If orcs could climb walls and ceilings,
then several of the battles in LotR and The Silmarillion would have
had very different outcomes. The Deeping Wall, for example, would have
been little use in keeping the hordes at bay...

>Glorfindel turning into Arwen I can live with, because otherwise she's
>practically created ex nihilo in Return of the King - she doesn't
>actually have any lines in Fellowship at all.

See, I think part of what I like about Tolkein's writing is that
characters exist merely for themselves, and not necessarily to
be used later in the plot. It gives a depth that's sadly missing
from most films (and books, for that matter). I *like* the fact
that Glorfindel plays no further part in the story. Equally, I
didn't read the books and think "Arwen came out of nowhere -- why
haven't I heard of her earlier?". So why should it be any different
in the film. Put it this way, what is gained (other than increasing
Liv Tyler's role) by the change?

As has already been mentioned, we are dangerously close to disappearing
into off topic[1] flamage here, when we're all pretty much agreed that
it was a good film.

Tet

[1] I'm clinging to the fact that it was rendered on Linux in a vain
    attempt to claim it's not *completely* off topic :-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk