[Gllug] Plank Drivers

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 08:59:24 UTC 2002

On Thursday 08 August 2002 09:51, Tethys wrote:
> >Has anyone got any suggestions? Avoiding binary-only modules is
> > critical because my system doesn't use the usual IA32 calling
> > conventions so I must recompile everything; so that rules nvidia
> > out, I guess.

Which is a shame because the nVidia cards are dirt-cheap and fairly
poweful.

> >Any others recommended? G450, or are they too old these days?
> >
> >(My mobo isn't AGP-capable, for what it's worth.)
>
> I was just going to suggest a Radeon, but I think they're only AGP.
> There's definitely a PCI version of the G450 (and I think G550, too).
> The G450 I have at work is stunning for 2D, and more than acceptable
> for 3D. It won't give you the extreme frame rates that you'll get
> from a Radeon or GeForce, but I still get 40fps or so in Unreal
> Tournament, for example :-)

I think the most powerful PCI card you can get is the 3dfx Voodoo5.
You'll have to hunt around to find one though. Don't know what the 3dfx
drivers are like.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk