[Gllug] SSH problem

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Aug 30 10:54:36 UTC 2002

Here's an interesting one. A friend of mine[1] has trouble connecting
to an OpenSSH 2.1.1 server with an OpenSSH 3.x client (or Putty, for
that matter) The login process gets as far as presenting the password
prompt, and no matter what's typed the connection is then disconnected
by the server.

The logs don't show any usual behaviour, and console logins do
work. The server has been left running for ages without any upgrades,
and the only thing that's changed has been that it's been rebooted for
the first time this year. Prior to that, the same setup worked
perfectly. Post the reboot: grief. This is all on something that
alleges to be "Redhat 1.0", but I doubt that's true, somehow.

So far, the help that I've given has been over the phone, otherwise
I'd hand out more details. Your suggestions, ladies and gentlemen?
Anyone else seen this?

Cheers,

Simon

[1] Not a hypothetical one!

--
When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk