[Gllug] Setting up a dialup for a friend

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 29 23:06:46 UTC 2002

On Sun 29 Dec, Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> >    I am trying to set up a single dialup box for friends, users would be
> > husband, wife, and three children, ISP probably the free waitrose.com
> > facility. I am trying to decide whether to set up 5 separate accounts, but
> > have not yet found information about doing this on a single box. Any
> > suggestions please? Thanks.
>
> I would suggest going for an ISP that offers sufficient email aliases or
> separate POP3 accounts so that each person can have a unique email
> address.
>
> Then it's a simple matter of choosing how to handle the email locally.
> Assuming you are running Linux then an account for each person on the box
> provides the required separation.
>
> Run a simple MTA setup locally (using fetchmail to download the email and
> pass it to the MTA for delivery) that runs in deferred mode and a small
> script in the dialup routine that sends email when you connect (and
> preferably also tells the MTA to process email every x minutes while
> online).
>
> Jason Clifford

   I have an account with Demon that allows that, but it is not free. Are
there others? The box is a second-hand P133, initially required to assist
the children with their homework. The parents know nothing about computers,
but they are not happy about the children needing to spend many extra hours
at school both before and after lessons getting access to the internet.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk