[Gllug] appletviewer library problem

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Wed Dec 11 13:19:31 UTC 2002

Paul Roberts <sakar at stelo.uklinux.net> wrote:

> I am having a problem running appletviewer (from JDK 1.3) on Debian
> Woody. It complains that I don't have the library
> libstdc  -libc6.1-2.so.3:
>
> However, I have the libstdc package installed:
>
> I assume the fact that I have a later version shouldn't make a
> difference, so does it?

You need the older libstdc  , as the library has been changing dramatically
between recent versions. On RedHat, SuSE and Mandrake systems there are
packages with "compat" in the name which provide (amongst other things) an
older libstdc  . I haven't the faintest idea what Debian calls theses packages,
but yes, you do ned an older library version.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk