[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 22 17:00:07 UTC 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Simon Stewart mused:

> On Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002, at 23:10 Europe/London, Nix wrote:
>>
>> See, e.g., Per Bothner's Kawa project, which is a (self-hosting) Scheme
>> compiler targeting the JVM.
>
> http://sisc.sourceforge.net/ if you're interested in Scheme and
> java. Or so I'm told. Might have to spend a bit of time getting to
> grips with it at some point.

If it's truly an interpreter then there's not much point in it unless it
has some compelling advantage; the *big* plus-point about Scheme in my
view is that its formal foundations permit truly ruthless optimizations.
I guess those optimizatons could be performed by a sufficiently smart
interpreter, but they tend to be computatonally expensive, so performed
only by compilers.

--
`I was thinking of the legendary British Weather, with the four seasons
 of winter, mud, rain, and damp.' --- Peter da Silva

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk