[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Richard Hillesley richard at linuxuser.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 00:05:46 UTC 2002

> Much though you and others may find this dis-tasteful I am going to
> suggest Microsoft's .NET languages. Mostly VB.net and C#.net

Not only do I find this distasteful, I think it is also bad advice.

I could think of any number of reasons for justifying the counter argument,
but the best is that you are better looking for cross platform skills, and if
you want an interesting life as a developer the one thing you should know, is
that it ain't going to be interesting to be tied into the world of WIndows

Learning C and C++ not only gives you much more skills that you can push on
any platform,  but the skills are close enough to Java and VB and C#, that
you can push the skills in those environment too, while learning the
principles. The biggest problem with VB and C#, is that the next version is
seldom compatible with the last. These are not serious long term development
languages.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk