[Gllug] undelete???

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Dec 2 01:08:13 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 11:57:19AM +1300, Jonathan wrote:
> If one stupidly deletes a file with rm, is there an undelete, like there used
> to be in DOS? (I realise it isn't guaranteed that you'll get your data back
> if it has been overwritten since)

If it was a small file, deleted recently, there's a chance.  The
Midnight Commander file manager offers this option.  If you don't have
mc, a couple of options are described here:
http://e2undel.sourceforge.net/recovery-howto.html.

One of the extended attributes for the ext2 filesystem is designed to
mark a file so that it should be recoverable, if deleted.  This isn't
currently implemented, though.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.