[Gllug] Newbie asks: how to learn?

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Sun Dec 22 12:37:09 UTC 2002

>> On 22 Dec 2002 07:15:08, Pete Ryland <pdr at pdr.cx> said:

   >> Read Neal Stephenson's "In the beginning was the command line".

   > *however*, it's quite clear he doesn't fully get some of the
   > technical subtlties and makes some pretty bad conclusions from
   > these misunderstandings too, which is why I find the article as
   > a whole a bit misleading.

Can you think of anything in particular?  I didn't get that impression
at all, and the feeling I picked up from books like _Cryptonomicon_ is
that he knows a great deal about Unix.

   > The car dealership analogy is cool though, and often quoted/copied.

And the Eloi/Morlock _The Time Machine_ analogy.  :-)

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net";  Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk