[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Sudhir Anand anand_sudhir at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 19:06:56 UTC 2002

On Thursday 12 December 2002 17:40, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002, at 11:18 Europe/London, Matthew Thompson
>
> wrote:
> > I'm actually quite pleased to be able to say that the .NET languages
> > are unlikely to be tied just to Windows.
>
> No, they'll be tied to Winforms instead. NUnit has this problem, I
> understand, rendering it useless for those poor sods trying to use it
> on a non-Win32 environment. Whatever criticisms you may level at Swing
> it's a true cross platform GUI.
>
> The other thing that I find vaguely distasteful is that the assumption
> with things like ASP.net is that the user's browser appears to need
> Javascript. Please tell me that I'm wrong, and cite some evidence to
> the contrary.

I think you are right as I recall from an article that when programming ASP,
some of the controls write javascript code once the page is executed on the
web server.  I stand corrected of course.  I have no direct experience of
ASP.net. (I wonder if I am even allowd to have an opinion in this case.)

Sudhir Anand
Andson

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk