[Gllug] how to check for a transparent proxy

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 03:42:12 UTC 2002

I am told by my connectivity provider that port 80 traffic is not
filtered or cached.  I pay for a clean business connection and I would
expect it not to be cached / cached.

If I browse to amazon.com or amazon.co.uk all of the links to the images
are broken.  For a long time I thought it was amazon.

Today I tested using a remote proxy service on port 8000 and I am able
to see all images.

If I browse to amazon and move from the normal area to the ssl area I
get images again.  As most proxies do not operate on ssl connections I
am guessing that there is a transparent proxy between me and the site
that is broken.

I cannot find a way to check for a transparent proxy, all web searches
want to tell me how to implement one.

Does anyone know how to test for a transparent proxy?

Kind regards
Xander

--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk