[Gllug] bash / go to beginning of line

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Feb 20 23:15:09 UTC 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:44:03PM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > Secondly, on a slow connection, vi can misinterpret the arrow keys.
>
> Didn't know that. That's interesting.

Yeah, traditionally vi clones would wait one second before interpreting an
escape char as an escape (you may have noticed a delay between pressing
escape in command mode and the error beep) and on a (*very*) slow or
error-full connection a pause of sufficient length in the middle of an
escape sequence could confuse things.

> Thus speaks the qwerty-user! Yep guys, it's time for a new flamefest;
> this time, the topic is "keyboard layouts". I personally prefer Dvorak
> (the two-handed version). Is there someone else out there that use
> something else than qwerty, and Dvorak in particular?  (I'm pretty sure
> Nix doesn't, because he use emacs.  It is positively impossible to use
> emacs default[1] key bindings with Dvorak without breaking ones'
> fingers).

There was a guy I went to uni with and he was into Dvorak and different
types of keyboards.  He had one where you stick your fingers *into* it and
move them either up, down, left, or right depending on what key you wanted.
He had this mapped to Dvorak layout, and had set up vim's key mappings to
work well with it.  Each to own I guess.

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk